Friday, February 04, 2005

Jobnificent(!), Jobray(!), Jobtastic(!)

This morning I successfully fought and subsequently beat my atrocious sleep self. All he wants is sleep, sleep and more sleep and he will never rest until he gets what he wants, rest. You
KNOW you need to be awake at a certain time for a very important appointment, convincing yourself before you nod off that it will be upheld. When morning comes you're paralysed, constantly hitting snooze, waiting until the very last moment when you either decide to get up or go back to sleep. If you get up you've left yourself so little time that you find yourself in a mad dash rush against impossible odds. If you go to sleep you wake up hours later feeling guilty, shitty and even more tired. Well today I found myself outside Westminster house a full half hour before my scheduled job interview so two fingers to you, nefarious sleep self. We'll meet again, the same way we do every morning. I knew that arriving ten minutes before the interview was in good form, thirty minutes beforehand though seemed a tad sad and desperate. Would I employ someone who arrived that early?
No is the answer.
To a genuine prospective emplyer though the person who has got up nice and early, had their breakfast, planned their outfit the night before and found the place within good time shows numerous qualities that a tight job ship needs. I'd feel dirty though and I guess I just don't want to be tarred with the non-tardy brush. After assessing all my options I decided that my best bet was to go down to the diddy HMV on Market street and treat myself to a few Dvds. I deserved it after all having managed to get out of bed on time. The elephant man, final destination 2 and Ferris Bueller will sit nicely on the other 3 Dvds I treated myself to from yesterday. I don't even have one penny to my name and am operating on my own economic system of Dvds. Each dvd is worth between £2-3. I'm quite tempted to go into gaffs later and make a request to swap a pouch of baccy for a dvd. When I think of having my hair cut next week in my head it costs 2 dvds instead of £5. I felt nothing this time as I stole except a feeling of disguts towards the staff at HMV for letting me get away with it.

I arrived at the halifax ten minutes early as plannned and was seated amongst the other applicants. Some engaged in small talk chat with one another to keep the nerves at bay, others seemed trapped in their own personal hell, the more that time passed the more of their cool they lost. I was also sat there thinking to myself. I knew that I should probably have been thinking about the upcoming interview, preparing model answers to the questions that i knew would be asked but I couldn't be bothered. Instead I was mulling over going back to HMV for another run, deciding against it as my blue coat is very conspicious but promised myself a saturday visit where I may want as much as upto 10 dvds. There was a part of me that knew I had got the job before I met my interviewer and went in to the interview room, before I'd even woken up that day even. An informal chat followed where I warmed to my interviewer and vice versa. Job in pocket I left, knowing that out of 15 vacancies one would surely be mine. Ok, I lied in the interview, telling them what they wanted to hear. Hey, that's life. A few hours later I received the confirmation call, I start on the 14th, that so very special of special days.............
When I had received full confirmation I felt empty inside, a bit disappointed and low. Did I really want a job which had been so easy to obtain. The interview put me under no pressure at all, comparable to a friendly chat in a boozer with a nice chap. I'd offered nothing in way of skills and abilities, in other words I'd got a job that anyone with an iota of a brain could have got. Thanks for making me feel so special halifax. God, I hate them.

Being kicked out of the library now, bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home