Thursday, February 03, 2005

I am the sandwich provider

I forgot to mention on Tuesday that I visited the whitworth art gallery on Sunday afternoon. I wasn't aware that it was actually a part of Manchester University's campus and although it is an inferior gallery compared to the main Manchester art gallery with a lot of the galleries being refurbished it was well worth it. The phoenix brass quintet from the Royal Northern College of Music played a free concert, performing one of the hardest quintet pieces known to man. Good show boys. The tuba player was especially impressive, I'd never seen such complex playing from what is normally an instrument with a relatively boring, simple, back seat part.
Has anyone else heard this phrase before, "Gay dress, empty belly?" It was written on one of the plaques inside the textile exhibition relating to the fact that certain medieval folk chose to buy ornamental, colourful, fancy pants clothes rather than feeding themselves. Also, I wasn't impressed with the work of Ben Nicholson but am told he was one of the most influential 20th century artists blah blah usual arty bollocks talk.

Today I was sat in the God awful food court on Market Street eating my munch from Marks and Spencers. I had a mozzarella and pesto baguette type sandwich left, after my in depth chat with T the day before I decided to find a big issue seller and give to them said sandwich. Delivering it to a man in St. Annes square, he was grateful and it made me feel wholesome, as if it made up for some of my sins. I then made a pact with myself that for every sandwich I pilfer, one will be given to the homeless cause. My stomach was still full yet I wanted to give more so back I went and collected 3 more breaded treats and delivered them. One was hoisin duck and another a sweet potato and 3 bean mexican wrap. I wondered if they were used to such high quality food but decided not to enquire. I simply greeted them, asked if they were hungry and then left. It's a better idea than simply giving money for socially unacceptable drugs, you know which I mean. I made sure that at least one of the sandwiches was vegetarian and it made me think, are there any vegetarian homeless people? Obviously some would have been before their misfortunes but is it viable to uphold such values when food is a scarcity? Possibly they eat whatever they can get their hands on, vowing to return to the non-meat world if they get back on their feet.
Food for thought I'm sure.......

oh dear

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home