Thursday, January 27, 2005

Whacky Wednesday

So I'm standing outside Manchester univerty students' union at the bus stop waiting to go into town to do some job hunting after having just acquired my six by seven ticket for that evening's gig. I'm stood reading 'Playing the Moldovans at tennis' and pretty much minding my own business whilst vaguely being aware of the conversation taking place right next to me between two asian looking people, one male and one female. This guy is an asylum seeker, has spotted another person with similar skin colour and decided to accost them on this basis alone. He's in the middle of receiving a stern lecture about benefits, working in the UK etc. after he had been moaning about how "shit" this country is. After he boards his UK North bus the girl turns to me, "Why do all asylum seekers come bothering me, asking me questions and asking for my number just because I've got the same skin colour?!" I didn't hold the answer to that one but offered stories of my Pizza bella delivery boy days where I worked with Iraqi and Iranian asylum seekers - one of which had thrown himself in front of the Euro train so that he'd be brought to the UK for medical treatment and would have to remain. We carried on chatting effortlessly until Fingland's bus arrived, we both hopped on and continued talking all the way into town. Somehow the subject of stealing came up and said girl mentions that there's a big book she needs to buy but it's really expensive. I offer my pilfering servie and suggest that after we get off the bus we should hit waterstones and that's precisely what happened. Some big, bad ass sociology and crimonology book worth £21.99. Too easy waterstones, too easy. Anyhoo, said girl mightily impressed and offers me a reward pint which I gladly accept. It's strange when you meet someone and it's as if you've always known them. When there's no awkwardness or nervousness, you feel totally at ease and the conversation simply flows. We followed it up with a pizza in gemini and by the time it was all over we'd spent about three and a half hours together. How random is that?

Couple of hours later I met everyone at the six by seven gig. It was an alright gig. It's difficult to watch a band that once had 5 memebers, now depleted to three and still continuing to play the classics that involved the full entourage. It's never going to be as good, is it? ViceMolroy had the genius idea of bringing our Made in China demo to hand to the band hoping to nab a support slot or any constructive criticism. We spied the singer at the end, handed it over with a brief chat and then made our way outside to the merchandise stall. Couple of minutes later the organ/electronic member shows his face and I engage in a comfortable, eays chat with him. I asked if we could go backstage because we had a spliff to smoke with the band and he agreed, leading us to meet the rest of the band. Stood chatting and smoking with the guys who were totally safe. Some of it was obsessed, slightly scary fan banter but on the whole it went well. I invited them to big hands about 10 times, nay, DEMANDED that they should come to big hands and they did! w00t. Spent a lot of the night chatting to james (organ man) about music, the music industry etc and he was a formidably affable chap as was Chris the drummer.

What a Wednesday.

Shit.... I fell off the weed waggon about three hours after declaring my abstinence from it. I've got a new one though. Give up smoking cigaretts, but continue with the ganj. Cigarettes have no benefits whatsoever. It was stupid of me not to think of this earlier but there you go. After this pack of baccy, no more. I'm on a collision course to a big, fat, void. In fact, simply typing about cigarettes has kick startes the cravings.

1 Comments:

Blogger Swedophilia said...

I got her number, ye. We arranged to meet at a play tongiht but about 5 minuts ago i got a text saying she couldn't come as she was going to London. I tried photobucket but you have to download the program and that is nto an option to me as I'm only using the university internet and internet cafe's. Ring me later this week dude

February 1, 2005 at 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home